The Best Positions for Anal Sex: Beginner's Edition
If you're a beginner, anal sex is a hot way to get intimate! However, like any form of sex, not all positions are made equal. Of course, there are all kinds of complicated positions that require all manner of physical prowess.
But let's not make this difficult: What are the best anal sex positions for newbies?
How anal sex positions differ
You'll want to choose a position that's going to be best for you and your partner. Consider factors like the depth of penetration you'd like, the stimulation of the A-spot (an erogenous zone between the cervix and bladder) in women and the prostate in men, and whether or not you want eye contact and kissing.
Other factors you should take into account include the height difference between you and your partner, the furniture (if any) that's going to be involved, and your levels of strength, suppleness and personal fitness.
The most important first step is to buy good-quality lube. And you will need a lot of it! You may also want to have a towel handy to wipe around after sex. No, you shouldn't wind up getting poop everywhere, but it is possible you may get small stains or smears on your body. You can also cover your sheets with a large beach towel just in case.
Ladies, to avoid bacterial issues, don't switch between anal and vaginal sex, or be sure to change condoms in between. Don't feel like you need to prepare for anal sex with an enema—just a good old shower with soap will have you feeling nice, clean and ready to rumble!
The best anal positions for first-timers...
Here are some of the hottest anal sex positions for beginners. Some are interchangeable with vaginal sex, but here, I'm recommending you try the anal version. In my explanation, "A" stands for the penetrating partner, "B" for the receiving partner.
1. Spooning is one of the gentler positions. Both partners lie on their sides, A behind B. This allows for closeness and reduces the amount of thrusting and motion involved, which may be easier to handle if you're new to anal sex.
2. Posterior plank. B lies on their stomach and A covers them, straddling their legs. For a variation called the Snake, B can push their butt upward, arching their back (a pillow can help for support).
3. Receiver on top (cowgirl/cowboy). A sits or lies face up with legs extended, and B lowers on top of them, facing them, giving B all the control.
4. Doggy style. B gets on all fours and A enters from behind (typically on their knees). A great way to hit the A-spot!
...And with a bit of experience
5. Lap dance. A sits down on a chair, and B sits down backward on top of them. B can lower down slowly (hold hands for extra control or lift up if it gets too intense).
6. Reverse receiver on top (reverse cowgirl/cowboy). Take almost the same position as a regular receiver on top, only B sits down on A facing away, giving A a great view of the action!
7. Standing 90-degree doggy. B stands and bends 90 degrees (over a bed or table, or pushing against a wall or table), and A penetrates them. For the very flexible, this can even be done at a 45-degree angle if B bends down farther.
8. Balasana. Like doggy style, but B takes the balasana yoga position, chest on the floor and arms reaching back behind to wrap around the back of their knees. This pushes the butt upward, allowing A to enter more deeply. Very intense!
9. Pearly gates. This is sexy and intimate as all get-out. A lies on their back, their knees slightly bent, and B lies down on top of them in the same position. A can wrap their arms around B for extra closeness.
10. Butterfly. B lies on their back on the bed, their bottom over the edge, legs bent up to the ceiling at 90 degrees. A stands facing B, with B's legs resting on A's chest.
Hopefully, these positions are the inspiration you need to give anal sex a trial run. Above all, don't be nervous, do bring a lot of lube and stop if you have pain. You don't have to do it again if you hate it. But if you love it, keep at it, master these positions, and seek out more positions as you become an anal expert!