How Women Can Spice Up Solo Play
Most women have a preferred technique for masturbation, but the same activity every time can become stale. Here are 10 suggestions for changing it up, so your "just me, myself and I" time remains hot and exciting.&
How most women masturbate
About 81 percent of women have masturbated at least once and 30 percent say they prefer it to sex with a partner, according to a survey by adult novelty company Tenga. The majority—73 percent—of women say they get off via clitoral stimulation while lying on their backs, according to the landmark Hite Report. Only 20 percent include vaginal penetration in their solo forays, and only 11 percent stimulate their breasts. The time women spend masturbating per session depends on the individual, with one small survey indicating a range of five to 30 minutes.
Trying new ways of masturbation
While data, even small samples, can be telling, every woman is unique and likely to do her own thing. When it comes to pleasure, once you know what works, you stick to it. However, this can keep you from feeling new, different sensations and experiencing better sex, either solo or with a partner.
Consider trying any of the following techniques to broaden your masturbatory horizons:
- Watch yourself in the mirror. This is a great way to promote body positivity, not to mention being a huge turn-on.
- Use lube. You may think, "I can get wet without lube...why use it?" Lube reduces friction, makes everything feel better and protects you from cuts or tears that can be a source of infection.&
- Have a meet-and-greet with your G-spot. If you masturbate, you're likely familiar with your clitoris. But what about your G-spot, the part of the clitoral network on the anterior (front) wall of your vagina? This area is linked to orgasms and can be a secret weapon for penetrative sex as well as alone time. Find it by inserting a finger into your vagina and performing a "come hither" motion on the front wall. Some sex toys are even specific to G-spot stimulation.
- Use both hands. Play with your clitoris with both hands, or stimulate your clit with one hand while penetrating your vagina with the other. Find your G-spot and hit your clitoral network in two different places at once.
- Slow down. Congrats to those women who can get off quickly; that's a feat not all are able to accomplish. However, just as teasing a partner can be fun and a huge turn-on, extending your own pleasure to heighten its intensity is just as rewarding.
- Try it on your stomach. Most women masturbate by putting pressure on their clitoris. While lying on your back makes your clitoris and vulva easier to access, rolling over onto your stomach increases the pressure on your clitoris by adding some of your body weight. Extra pressure can result in an awesome orgasm.
- Experiment with (safe) toys. Treat yourself to one (or more) and experiment. Clitoral vibrators, suction devices, "rabbit" dildos, butt plugs—the options are nearly inexhaustible. Just be sure to go for something body-safe from a reputable company; a hairbrush or cucumber, while convenient, is probably loaded with bacteria.
- Do it in front of a partner. Putting on a show for someone else is incredibly exciting. They can masturbate at the same time so you can get off watching each other touch yourselves.
- Make friends with your showerhead. Taking a shower is a great time to masturbate, especially if you struggle to find a private space in your home. Try aiming the water at your clitoris and vagina and experiment with different pressures. If you don't have a detachable showerhead, it might be worth the investment.
- Give your nipples some love. Many women say nipple stimulation is an important aspect of reaching orgasm. Use your fingers, nipple suction cups or clamps.
- Don't forget about your butt. Not everyone likes the sensation of anal play, but if you do or haven't yet tried, give it a go with your fingers or toys such as butt plugs and anal trainer sets. Use lubricant and be careful of contamination between your anus and vagina, which can cause a yeast infection or urinary tract infection (UTI).
- Ice, ice, baby. Most people enjoy the sensation of warm water when masturbating in the shower. But temperature changes can be part of the mix. Try incorporating cold water during a shower or even a cold ice pack in bed. Your clitoris won't know what hit it.
And last but not least, relax and enjoy. Happy exploring, ladies.